WELCOME!

Welcome to the CAN Fund Athlete Blog!
This is where Canadian Athletes will be posting as they train and prepare to represent Canada on the World Stage! Keep up to date on when and where our athletes are training and competing!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

JOHN HASTINGS- Canoe/Kayak


Whistler X-Country Ski Camp

For years, there has been this divide that pit Canoe Slalom (formerly known as Whitewater) against Canoe Sprint (formerly known as Flatwater) athletes. Although the origin of this divide is still unknown, it likely stems from the good looks and charm present in us Canoe Slalom folk. 

Even though bread was broken in 2007, when Sprint and Slalom athletes joined forces to sell pumpkins prior to Halloween, not all had been forgiven. So, after three years of negotiations, and work, I am proud to announce that the final armistice happened last week. Yep, after joining forces with some of the National Canoe Sprint team members out in Whistler, BC at the Whistler Olympic Village, I am pleased to announce that trails of Callaghan Lake was the arena where fists turned into handshakes, which quickly turned into hugs. Yep guys, the conflict is over. 

Anyways, it was an incredible 7 days of XC-skiing at the host site of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. We could not have asked for better conditions; the snow was great, and we even lucked out with a little sun! It was a good group of guys, pushing one another on the trails, in the gym, and in the pool. I must admit that I was sad to leave yesterday “the best place on earth”, but with my winter training camps (i.e. trip to Mexico and Australia) approaching quickly, responsibility has kicked in, and I need to start TCB’ing (taking care of business) as I will be gone for 6-weeks! 

So, it will be a quick turnaround for me, I take off to Mexico on Saturday for 9 days. As it has been a solid month since I was last on the Whitewater, I will use my time in Mexico to work out the kinks, and get the dust off my boat. We will also race in the Pan American Championships in two weeks time. Can’t wait to get back on the water!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment